PHW Group, Productive Health Workplaces, are pleased to be able to share our knowledge and experience to proactively achieve realistic change in productive, healthy workplaces.
This forum will be one of our platforms for sharing tips, tricks and stories from the field.
Today we will start with the hot topic of sedentary work in offices and how to beat it?
Firstly, why do we need to move?
Why move regularly at work?
Health professionals are starting to look at sedentary work as “the new smoking”.
We have a growing body of knowledge and research now suggesting that we need to move as much as we can during the working day.
Some of the concerning evidence coming through includes:
- Evidence suggests prolonged sitting increases the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Prolonged sitting is an independent risk factor, even if you engage in regular exercise.
- Long periods of sitting are a suspected risk factor in the development of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Shorter life expectancy
Let’s clarify something before we move on…
Sitting for long periods at the office is a risky thing to do even if you are a regular exerciser outside the office! Yep, it’s time to get moving! Do it now while you are reading this…
Ok, we get it so what can we do?
There is good news from the research. That is that even short, regular breaks from sitting can be beneficial for workers’ health.
The answer sounds simple enough – but old habits die hard. Try these ideas:
- Walking meetings – take the chance to get some exercise while you discuss strategies and business with your colleagues
- Stationary bike meetings and/or work stations
- Walking your messages to a work colleague rather than emailing them
- Invest in a height adjustable work stations so that you can sit and stand intermittently. These are price competitive now. They are not the magic bullet many think they will be but can help when used well.
- Forming wellness teams within your work spaces to ensure people are getting up and moving regularly.
This is just a start.
A workplace that is designed to facilitate moving at work is an important facilitator to building in movement into your working day. This is a topic we are passionate about so get in touch if you want to know more
Have a healthy and productive day,