Here at PHW we are all about creating healthier and more productive workplaces. It’s no secret we aren’t a fan of sedentary work behaviours as we have something against the health issues that come from sitting on your behind for far too long. I’m sure you know what we’re talking about so we won’t go into the health issues you’ve seen through the media and research, we’ll go straight into how to combat these effects; movement.
Movement is the key to beating those health issues and aches and pains you can get day in day out at work if you sit for too long.
At PHW group we are that big on movement that we are embarking on creating a movement, or more precisely “The Movement Movement” around Australian workplaces. I have to back track here… the wording “The Movement Movement” did come from one of our trusted advisors, Harry Papagoras, but we have his ok to run with it.
And that’s literally what we plan on doing; running and moving our bodies to combat the postural deterioration of the body that comes from sitting for too long.
Unfortunately as you age postural deterioraton is going to happen. It certainly doesn’t need help through years and years of inactivity. We are pretty passionate about creating “The Movement Movement” around Australia. Who knows, one day there might be a “Movement Movement” day in the calendar, or possibly a “Movement Movement” Month, but in the meantime, we want to encourage all our readers to celebrate the small wins of movement every day.
These wins can be as simple as;
- Walking to talk to a colleague, lets be honest, everyone at work gets enough emails as it is.
- Forming a group to conduct any form of exercise, from a yoga class to a quick 15min walk. Anything is better than nothing.
- Moving the bin and printer from the work station to walking to them when needed.
- Going with a colleague to get a coffee rather then having one brought to you.
- Walking to and from work or parking further away – its not just work we spend all our time sitting.
- Embarking on a team building event such as an obstacle race or steps per day challaenge will help motivate movement and fitness.
Whatever your strategy, your body will thank you! Even if it’s a 5 second quick standing stretch mid report.
We hope you like the notion of “The Movement Movement” and really look forward to embarking on this movement in getting Australian workplaces, well, moving.
As always have a healthy & productive day,
- Allens Operations Pty Ltd (Aust) – Australia wide (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane & Perth) - September 24, 2018
- Early childhood intervention Australia - August 4, 2018
- Australian Physiotherapy Association National office, Victoria - August 2, 2018