Here are three key tips for being more healthy and productive at work.
1. Switch off from work properly at the end of the day.
Many people let the issues at work fester in the back of the brain into the evening and potentially the night when you are trying to sleep. Develop a process that helps you switch off effectively. Common ways include: Exercise / Meditation / Writing things down in a notebook or device that clarifies what you need to attend to the next day / a drink of something? – or a combination of the above.
Some people declare a certain point on the way home as their official switch of point. A particular bridge or train station perhaps? Part of your brain will want to hold onto the stresses of the day in the never-ending search of resolving them. That’s why writing them down can help to put them aside.
2. Check your emails only a few times a day.
Go on I know you can do it. The world will keep spinning I can assure you, and you will be amazed by the increase in productivity. Make the check-in points strategic – for example 10am, 1pm and 4 pm and limit the time spent (20-30 mins or less, depending on your role). In between this get some “real” work done!
3. Build healthy exercise into your day.
Our blogs have given dozens and dozens of tips on how to do this well. These tips have included:
- Making your meetings standing / walking meetings if you are an office worker
- Making your meetings sitting / stretching meetings if you stand a lot at work already
- Using your lunch break to get fresh air and light if you are missing that in your working day
Regular exercise is showing up in research to be arguably the number one thing we can do to help ourselves be healthy and happy. Either you find the time to do it, or else you are forced to find the time to be unwell. Seems a no brainer when you think of it like that.
Have a healthy and productive day